Wow! The past couple weeks will be going down in American history for many reasons. From the damages caused by Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, to the financial meltdown, to the proposed government bailout, to the tumultuous Presidential race, to the current gas crisis here in Charlotte . . . all I can say is Wow!
I can't help but think back to four and a half years ago when we bought our first home in the middle of the housing market frenzy. At that time, we were nervous to purchase a home as we thought the increase in home values couldn't sustain itself. . . but I never imagined the windfall of home foreclosures, home depreciation, financial institution failures, and mortgage issues that are occurring today. We just bought our second home a couple months ago and we are already seeing the value of our home depreciating.
As the government is meeting right now to discuss these issues, I wonder what the best solution is to get this wonderful country of ours back on track. Each day, we learn how complex this problem is and I am not sure what the best answer is myself. All I can do is pray that our government can stop being Republicans or Democrats for a few days - and vote for what is best for the nation.
On top of all of this, as an aftermath to the hurricanes, Charlotte has been out of gas for almost three days now. The majority of gas stations have no fuel - and the ones that do - have very long lines. Of course, I didn't listen to that voice in my head telling me to get gas on Tuesday - so I have very little gas in my tank. As a result, I have not been out of my neighborhood since Wednesday. Luckily, I do not have anywhere that I NEED to go. . . so for me, it has actually been a great excuse to stay home and relax. So, today I tried to take a nap, but when I couldn't cross over into a dreamy sleep, I opted for a nice bubbly bath. . . ahhhh what a nice rejuvenation. But for those, whose livelihoods depend on having a full tank of gas - I really feel for them. . .
Anyway, I am not sure if I really have a point to this blog. . . I think I just wanted to jot down a couple thoughts so in 20 years I can show my children that we lived in "those times" that will be discussed in history or economic classes.
Smart Little One
7 years ago


2 comments:
I had no idea Charlotte was also affected in the gas shortage. Is Hunter able to get to work? Man, this is a crazy time....
Glad you're able to find the silver lining of bubble baths and quality time with family.
Indeed these days and weeks are worth making note of. In a few years, we can look back and see the consequences of Mother Nature and the whims, greed,decision making and mismanagement by man. You summed up these past weeks succinctly.
mom
Post a Comment