Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Weekend Getaway

Hunter took me on a little getaway to Asheville, NC for our 10th anniversary.  We had such a wonderful time and we were so appreciative of my parents as they watched the kiddos while we were gone.

Shortly after arriving, we ate lunch at Chelsea's - we sat on the patio as the inside was a little too frilly for Hunter.  I'll have to take my daughter there sometime there - as the inside looked like it was set up for a tea party and the food was delicious. 

After some window shopping and getting settled into our hotel room, we went to the Grove Park Inn for a fantastic dinner at the Sunset Terrace.  The views were spectacular and the weather was practically perfect as a rainstorm had just come through and cooled everything down.
We decided to exchange our gifts over dinner. . .Hunter told me we were doing small gifts, so when he handed me his card. . .I assumed he got me a gift card or something small.
Nope!  Inside the card was two plane tickets to Singapore. 
I was so excited I started to cry - my brother lives there and we've been talking about going, but I never thought it would happen!  Thank you Hunter and to all those who are making this possible for us.

As you can see, we stuffed ourselves at the Sunset Terrace (this was all that was left) - we ate mussels, salad, bread, crabcakes, lamb, and chocolate cake.  Afterward dinner, we took a walk around the grounds of the Inn - it is such a neat place.

We spent the next day touring the Biltmore, which is George Vanderbilt's 8000 acre estate.  The house is 175,000 square feet and has 250 rooms. . . the Vanderbilts thought of everything as it has an indoor pool, bowling alley, and fitness room . . .pretty impressive for the 1890s.


The grounds were beautiful, especially the gardens.



After a day of touring the Biltmore, we decided to go out on the town!  I love Asheville because it is such a lively place with musicians and artists on every corner.  And as you can tell from my blog thus far, the food is amazing in Asheville and it was our focus over the weekend.  We ate dinner at Chai Pani, which is known for its Indian "street food".  The flavors of the dishes we ordered were fresh and vibrant - delicious. 

Then we went to the French Broad Chocolatier for dessert. . .where we ate a decadent chocolate cake and drank a hot liquid truffle that was superb.

Our hotel was great - it was set up like a studio so I woke each morning to Hunter making breakfast for me.  It was yummy and by far the healthiest meals we ate all weekend.
On the way home, we stopped by a craft festival in Black Mountain, which is another cute town.  Then we took the Blue Ridge Parkway home. . . it was nice as we kept driving in and out of clouds as we drove through the mountains.


Then it was time to head home . . .boo-hoo!  But needless to say, we had an amazing weekend and we are looking forward to our big trip to Singapore to re-celebrate our 10 years of marriage. 
Love you Hunter! 

6 comments:

Tricia said...

What a fun weekend! I'm so happy you get to go to Singapore. Nicely done Hunter. :)

smiles, Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

Molly!! That is amazing!! Way to go, Hunter! The only thing better than Singapore would have been MEXICO, right?! ;) I am so excited for you guys!

I am super jealous of your trip to Asheville! All looked divine...especially the food. Yum. You describe it like a true foodie! I love it!

Take care! School is starting soon! Are you as freaked out about Kindergarten as I am?! Ahhh!

Michigan Roys said...

Sounds like a great trip. Congratulations.

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness!! Singapore will be amazing!! What a great gift. And your get-away looked perfect. Congrats on 10 years. We'll be there next year! Miss you guys.

Mateo said...

We're more than thrilled for your weekend but even more excited to have you visit us in Singapore! Love, Mateo