Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It's a New Year

As January comes to a close, I sigh a breathe of relief and look forward to a better month that hosts Valentines Day and all the fun festivities that it brings.  As I think about love and all of those things that remind you of Valentine's Day, I can't help but think of my grandmother who just passed away in January.  My grandmother and my grandfather truly loved each other, enjoyed each others company, and put each other on a pedastal. . . they were a perfect match, soulmates, companions, best friends, and a testiment to successful marriage.  My grandfather passed away years ago, yet my grandmother always had his picture front and center and talked about him every time we visited - she knew she was a lucky woman to have lived her life with the man of her dreams. 

My grandmother was a very strong, intelligent woman and led a very successful life despite some difficult physical/health trials in her life.  She knew that life was meant for living and did not let obstacles get in her way and weigh her down.  When she passed away, I think she was ready to go as she knew she had led an amazing life and she was ready to see her husband again.   A poem, she had written, was included in her funeral program and I thought it perfectly summed up who she was and also gave me a boost to make sure I am living my life to the fullest. 

Experience
Where do the years go after they have been lived?
Surely they must be someplace waiting
Or they are drifting around somewhere slowly
Mingling with other years
Do they fuse and become as one or do they line up
One in front of the other
I think I know the answer.  Do you believe
They are still inside your head and heart
To be pulled out, to be relived in our day dreams?
We are  free to choose the ones we like best
To think about.
If we want we can even put back the ones we didn't enjoy.
Think what kind of dreams you want to have
To choose from when you grow older.
Just imagine you have a full free choice
Of making your memories. . .
Now is the time.


January was a tough month for many reasons but when I combine that with the excitement of a new year, I haven't been able to get my grandmother's poem out of my head.  She illustrates that with all the ups and downs of life. . .we get to choose whether we live life in the trenches or on the highest mountain top.   My grandmother in her poem and in her life has inspired me "to do a little more" in 2010.   With this I say, Happy New Year and I hope we all make some amazing, everlasting memories this year!

No comments: